Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Iron Rich Foods


Have you ever
been lying in your bed at night trying to fall asleep and you suddenly feel the urge to move your legs continuously? You are so tired but you feel like you could run a mile? well this restlessness might mean you are deficient in iron...because I think this is exactly what it means for me & for maybe a lot of you out there. & did you know women are way more likely to be iron deficient than men? {there are other causes for iron deficiency, read more here.}

I also believe I have a lack of a lot of vitamins...Living my whole life in sunny golden California and then taking the leap of faith living in Ideeeho, it's kind of a change to say the least. {Don't get me wrong I love Idaho. But please, I need the sun!}

To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:

  • Red meat
  • Egg yolks
  • Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards, or such leafy greens as pictured above! ha)
  • Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
  • Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
  • Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
  • Turkey or chicken giblets (hmm)
  • Beans, lentils, chick peas, pumpkin seeds and soybeans
  • Liver (ew..)
  • Artichokes (my fav)

And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron!

No comments: